Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A GOAL OF A DIFFERENCE!!!

Children are the most wonderful of god’s creations!! Im sure that you all agree on this one. They lighten up our lives , make it merrier, and in simple terms , they make our life …complete!! Yet, not all children are born equal, like you and me!!! These are the ones to whom I dedicate this article to….. the childrens’ of a Lesser God!!!

I was on the flight to Chennai when I met Kim Kane. Her seat was next to mine. She was a brunnete, a woman in the late thirties. She was on the way to Pondicherry, on a visit to Shri Aurobindo Ashram. She asked me bout my profession. I told her that I was a doctor and that I was preparing for my postgraduation. What subject would you select for your postgraduation and why, was her next question. I told her that I just love kids and would therefore like to do my post graduation in Pediatrics. I could see the glimmer in her eyes as I completed my statement. It was then that she narrated this incident to me, an incident which has left a permanent mark on me!
I will narrate it as it was told to me….
She began……

“ Last night was the last game for my eight year old son’s soccer team. It was the final quarter. The score was two to one, my son’s team in the lead. With less than ten seconds remaining, the ball rolled in front of my son’s team mate, one Mike O’Donnel. With shouts of “ Kick it!” echoing across the field, Mike reared back and gave it everything he had. All around me the crowd erupted. O’Donnel had scored!!


Then there was silence. Mikey had scored all right, but in the wrong goal, ending the game in a tie. For a moment there was total hush. You see, Mikey has Down’s syndrome and for him there is no such thing as a wrong goal. All goals were celebrated with a joyous hug from Mikey. He had even been known to hug the opposing players when they scored.

The silence was finally broken when Mikey, his face filled with joy , grabbed my son, hugged him and yelled, “I scored! I scored. Everybody won! Everybody won!” for a moment I held my breath, not sure how my son would react. I need not have worried. I watched , through tears, as my son threw up his hand in the classic high-five salute and started chanting, “ Way to go Mikey! Way to go Mikey!” Within moments both teams surrounded Mikey, joining in the chant and congratulating him on his goal.”

By the time she finished her narration , the plane had reached Chennai. I was overwhelmed by the gesture shown by her son and his friends. I asked her to congratulate him on my behalf. As I bade her good bye, I promised myself that I would write an article on this incident so that all of us realize that …..
……. These children , the ones with Down’s syn, Rett’ s syn , Asperger’s syn, etc or simply put…the ones who are mentally challenged, are indeed unfortunate. Labeled as “ happy morons”, “spikey hair”,etc all that we do of their plight, is to make fun of them, make merry at these poor kids’ expense! But all of us, the society as a whole, must realize that these children are very much a part of us… our world…the world that god has created. It is only then that these ‘ ill fated inopportunes’ may lead a life, a life of less misery and suffering, …though it will always be…….. a life less ordinary!!! As I end this article, Kudos to Kim’s son and his friends for doing just that….!!!

A narration by KIM KANE written by Dr Swarup.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely article sir actually mike meant all of them should win anyways kudos to all the children and their innocence nd to u gr8 piece of work- shradha

Unknown said...

hi
nice article..all these kids deserve a special place in our society..
u hav written very lucidly..
keep it up!!

Unknown said...

May God teach us the compassion and tolerance to deal with the mentally challenged.

Unknown said...

The society is materialistic, (except few),
Ppl Wont see the innocence or i wil say part of god which is there in these childrens.